Wings were enjoying the first of what would turn out to be a run of seven weeks at the top of the UK album chart at this time back in 1974 with Band On the Run, which didn’t include this song, although it was a hit single in the States and was included on the US version of the album (against Paul’s wishes): ‘Helen Wheels’.
About the McCartneys’ faithful Land Rover, the chorus goes thusly:
“Helen, hell on wheels
Ain’t nobody else gonna know the way she feels
Helen, hell on wheels
And they’re never gonna take her away”
But the topic today is not songs about motor vehicles, but songs about girls.
ten nine for you to identify. Name that lady. One is the name of my car, as it happens.
I hope you can add a few of your own for others to ponder.
Songs about boys next time; there’s no sexual favouritism here, I’ll have you know.
The chatroom, by the way, will open tomorrow at 2pm (UK). See you there.
01. “Maybe just a good night’s sleep
Would have changed your troubled mind”
02. “She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more”
03. “Where did your long hair go?
Where is the girl I used to know?”
04. “I met her in a club down in old Soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry cola”
05. “She grew up in an Indiana town
Had a good-lookin’ mama who never was around”
06. “She is like a cat in the dark
And then she is the darkness”
07. “She listens for the ticking of my footsteps, patiently
She sifts the hairy air that’s warm and wood-swept, pleasantly”
08. “She came and stood right by me
Then the smell of sweet perfume”
09. “I used to carry her satchel
She used to walk by my side”
10. “One year ago underneath the summer sun
She was just a restless child”