The recent post about the albums of the Noughties (I hate that term, but how else do you sum up the last ten years in one word?) contained the following question: Which year had the best new music? At the time of writing, almost half of the vote was with 2006, so, which songs would you recommend from that year?
They don’t have to be singles, album tracks are fine.
My favourite albums from 2006, On an Island aside, were as follows, so I’ve cheated with a favourite song off each.
– The Blue Van, Dear Independence – ‘Goldmind’
– James Dean Bradfield, The Great Western – ‘To See a Friend in Tears’
– Ray Davies, Other People’s Lives – ‘Over My Head’
– Bob Dylan, Modern Times – ‘Nettie Moore’
– Gomez, How We Operate – ‘How We Operate’
– Neil Young, Living with War – ‘The Restless Consumer’
Here are 100 from Rolling Stone to help you, or, should their list have the same effect on you as it did me, make you feel old and out-of-touch… and perhaps just a little grateful for it?
Not knowing approximately 65% of the acts listed, I’d like to know which, if any, are worth listening to; the titles don’t exactly make me want to investigate (I know, books and covers and all that). Besides, if the grammar, or lack of it, causes me to grind my teeth, I daren’t think what listening to the song could do. In all honesty, to my shame, I don’t hold out much hope that listening to some of them would be anything other than a waste of time that I can never get back. ‘Baby Let’s Have a Baby Before Bush Do Somethin’ Crazy’? Where do you begin? I clearly must be old and out-of-touch. God knows I’d like to add a comma to that title.
Pitchfork’s list is here, very helpful in that you can hear 30-seconds from each song with ease. Just play the first one and the others will follow. If you hear something you like, the player will show both artist and song title. If you hear something you don’t like, you can skip to the next one and curse my suggestion.
Knowing that you have exquisite taste, I genuinely look forward to your recommendations and to hopefully discovering something new to listen to.
Six more before I hand over to you, seeing as I cheated earlier. Know any of them?
– Baby Woodrose, ‘Growing Younger’ (Love Comes Down)
– Band of Horses, ‘The Funeral’ (Everything All the Time)
– Burning Saviours, ‘Lilly Marion’ (Hundus)
– Califone, ‘The Orchids’ (Roots and Crowns)
– Five Horse Johnson, ‘Feed That Train’ (The Mystery Spot)
– Red Hot Chili Peppers, ‘Dani California’ (Stadium Arcadium)