I’d guess that many of the people reading this would gloomily admit that the state of music today really isn’t up to much, particularly when compared to the glorious periods of the Sixties and Seventies.
That said, there are some good acts out there, and some of you might be interested in giving their songs a listen. That’s why today’s nonsense dose of randomness is an open-invite for you to share your ten favourite albums released since the year 2000. (That’s signed artists, don’t start – and no links, please.)
Without spending too much time thinking about it, and deliberately ignoring the obvious, as well as recent offerings by The Eagles, Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Ray Davies, mine are:
– Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, ‘Howl’ (2005)
– The Blue Van, ‘Dear Independence’ (2006)
– James Dean Bradfield, ‘The Great Western’ (2006)
– Coldplay, ‘Parachutes’ (2000)
– Jet, ‘Get Born’ (2003)
– Kings of Leon, ‘Youth and Young Manhood’ (2003)
– Little Barrie, ‘We Are Little Barrie’ (2005)
– The Mooney Suzuki, ‘Electric Sweat’ (2003)
– Starsailor, ‘Love is Here’ (2001)
– Stereophonics, ‘You Gotta Go There to Come Back’ (2003)
Your thoughts on any of these, as well as the lists of others, would be great.
We’ll cover the Nineties next time. Until then, here’s a near-impossible poll for your cursors to bash at.